Thursday, September 20, 2007

Too true for fiction

God does amazing things to protect His children. So unbelievable that if you tried to put it into a novel, you'd have readers throwing the book across the room saying, "Yeah, right!"

It started when I had to run an errand that involves traveling thirty miles on back-country roads. My part of the story isn't amazing, but it's something I'm thankful for. About five miles from my destination, the little battery symbol light came on.

I knew it probably meant alternator problems. I only know that because it happened with a different car on a trip out east and the car completely died. But my husband was driving then and he knew what to expect. I was alone and all I could do was pray that the car wouldn't die. I was on a stretch with no houses and I didn't want to walk five miles.

The engine missed once (everything seems to stop for a split second and the car lurches) but I made it to my destination. And silly me, I turned the car off because it's an errand that can take 20-30 minutes. Hey, at least I had access to a phone there. That's right, I have no cell phone.

The car started and I made it back home--with the engine missing about three more times. When my husband came home from work, I told him of my little adventure and said I was surprised I made it home. He said he was too, especially since I'd turned the car off. Then he asked if he'd ever told me the story of the two little Mennonite women. And this is the amazing part.

These two Mennonite women traveled to a different town--to a bad part of that town--I'm assuming for some mission work. When they headed back to their car, they saw two big, scary guys sitting very close to the car. So close they were afraid to get in, but they did. I imagine these two men glowering at the women the whole time. (My husband didn't say so, but he's not big on details in his stories.)

The car started right up and the two men jumped back, looking scared, then ran away. Odd reaction, they thought. Did those men think two nice little ladies were going to run them over? They drove home and all was well. But the next morning the woman tried to start her car and nothing happened. She called her husband out to the garage to take a look. The husband popped the hood.

There was no battery in the car.

No wonder those men had looked so scared. They'd witnessed a car starting after they'd stolen the battery out of it! I would have loved to hear their thoughts in that moment.

God is so good--and what a sense of humor.

No comments: