Friday, September 28, 2007

Third vs. first person

First a quick update. I had a fairly productive writing day yesterday--a combination of research and writing. My goal is to write a 50,000 word rough draft in two months. If I write 2500 words today and tomorrow, I'll be halfway through that goal right on schedule. Since I've never set a goal for myself, I consider this a success, even though I've fallen behind a bit.

Someone wanted to know what my WIP is about. I told you it was based on a true story--my great aunt's, for those of you who use that term (my grandma's sister, for those who don't).

She was a missionary in the Philippines when WWII broke out and the Japanese invaded the islands. She and one other missionary woman headed for the jungled hills to hide out. Discovery meant being shot down in cold blood, or being taken to a prison camp. After four months of living under this kind of tension, she was captured and spent the rest of the war in Santo Tomas Internment Camp in Manila.

Since all my creativity is focused on weaving a compelling story into a concentration camp setting, I appreciate that Richard Mabry asked me a question in yesterday's comments.

"Now how about your 'take' on writing in the third person vs. first person. And would you evern condone having some scenes in one voice and others in another?"

My preference, both for reading and writing, is third person. Why? That's kind of hard to pin down. I sort of feel that with first person, the character is telling me their story, while with third person I can put myself in the character's place easier.

That reason sounds kind of odd. Mainly, I just like what I like. I have a harder time getting into books written in first person. There's an adjustment period where I have to get used to the pages telling me "I did this, and I did that." After that adjustment, I do enjoy first person.

The advantage of it is a more intimate feel. And for the writer, perhaps easier characterization. I wrote one short story in first person, and the character became an extension of me. It's easier to remember that you're always in the character's head when everything is phrased "I".

But I prefer third person, because I prefer multiple POVs. Do I condone writing a book with both? Well, let's say I would never recommend it. You have to have lots of talent to pull it off, and a great story to pull the reader along so they barely notice the transitions.

Let's take one great writer who has done this. Brandilyn Collins in her Hidden Faces series. I'm a huge fan of hers, and I loved this series. So let's establish that. But that adjustment period I was talking about? I would get settled in to the first person voice, and then it switched to third person for the villain. Getting to those sections was kind of like punching the cruise button. But then it shortly switched back to first person and I'd have to readjust all over again.

If Brandilyn wasn't such a great writer with such compelling stories that simply don't let go, I may have given up on the books. As is, I've read the series twice so far. But "Dead of Night" was my favorite in the series. The villain was written in first person, too. No adjustment, just a smooth ride. And then there's the fact that the suspenseful climax in that book was awesome--had my heart pounding.

So if you're not sure whether to write in first person or third, try them both (but not in the same book until you're multi-published). Some people are meant to write in first person, and don't find their true writing voice until they switch to first person.

Any more questions? Any topic you'd like me to blog about?

3 comments:

Richard L. Mabry, MD said...

Tina,
Thanks for your insights. It's been recommended that I use first person for the WIP I'm starting--good choice for the genre--and I'm beginning to get into it, but I do realize that it's going to be a very different experience than writing in close third person.
And, like you, I think going from first to third, although great in baseball, isn't such a good idea in writing.

Anonymous said...

Tina,

I have a question that maybe you or your readers could comment on, not related to POV. First here is some history.

I got started on my wip last fall. I wrote in my spare time, and when I traveled. In about six months I had a little over 15,000 words, which is more than I had written in the previous 50 years. The story had flowed real well and I was amazed that I was able to do that. Then a job loss came in April, followed by a month of searching for new job, followed by a couple of months of intense training.

Now several months later and I have not written one word. My question is: Should I try to continue where I left off or go back and edit based on the recent critique? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Blessings,

Jack

Tina Helmuth said...

Jack,

Since it's been several months, you at least need to go back and read everything you've written. This will get you back into the flow of the story. As for making the changes suggested in the critique, that depends on how you feel about it.

If the rest of the story is burning in your mind, get it down on paper. Under normal circumstances, a first draft isn't the place for big edits--unless you change a major plot point. (But even that depends on your style. Writers do exist who can't go on until they've crafted the perfect scene.)

The danger in NOT editing before you go on is that you may repeat the same mistakes. Unless you really took our comments to heart and know how to move forward.

The danger if you DO edit before moving on is that you might get too caught up in remembering "the rules" and stifle your creativity.

You know your personality. Make your choice based on that. There is no right answer here. What part are you most excited to get to?