Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I take it back

I want to retract something I said in the last critique. Well, not retract it completely, but there are exceptions to something I laid down as a rule. I was talking about the perfect length of a paragraph and I said, "No paragraph should be more than a line or two longer than that one."

As a general guideline, I stand by that. Long paragraphs tire a reader's eye. Breaking the text up into shorter paragraphs keeps the reader going. But just like everything else in writing, variety is the key. The length of sentences within a paragraph should vary, and the lengths of paragraphs should vary, too.

If you're just starting out in writing, don't force this. If it doesn't come from a natural rhythm, leave it alone. But in the polishing stage, it's something to pay attention to.

There is a place for long paragraphs. Say your character needs to make an impassioned speech. The long paragraph is made for that. But you get about one of those per book. (Okay, I made that up. But you don't get many.)

If it's a slow scene and you're trying to create a calming lull, longer sentences and paragraphs is the way to do that. But keep some variety in length. And don't make the paragraphs too long. Remember as you're typing your manuscript, you've got a whole 8.5 inch wide page to fill. This makes the paragraphs look shorter. Squeeze that into book form where the page is 5.5 inches or less, and that paragraph might take up the entire page. And readers everywhere will groan and maybe toss in a bookmark to tackle that page later.

In action scenes, the pace should be moving quickly. Thus shorter sentences and paragraphs are called for--even one-sentence paragraphs occasionally for emphasis. I'll repeat occasionally for my own benefit. I tend to put in too many one-line paragraphs. One critique partner had to tell me to stop being such a drama queen. She didn't use those words, but that was the idea. The one sentence paragraph is a powerful tool when used correctly. Doesn't matter what genre you're writing, in my opinion.

In other news, the Genesis contest results were posted to the ACFW loop yesterday. I took second place in the historical category. Thanks to those of you who saw the announcement and congratulated me in yesterday's comments. I didn't even expect to final, so second place is pretty good.

I wasn't able to make the conference. But I'm going next year, when it'll be held in Bloomington, Minnesota. About a three and a half hour drive for me. I'm starting to save up my money now, and not having to buy an airline ticket will help the finances. Not to mention my nerves. I've never flown and the thought of flying terrifies me. I'll get over it someday, but I want my husband at my side. Otherwise, I'll squeeze some stranger's arm bloodless.

Anyway, I'm excited about next year's conference. As you probably already know, we'll have the use of the Mall of America rotunda for the booksigning, and Barnes and Noble will host the conference bookstore. Another advantage is something Michelle Hutchinson will be particularly interested in. (I've heard about her chocolate parties.) There's an excellent fudge shop in the Mall. Then again, what kind of store isn't in that mall?

Even though I've never been to an ACFW conference, I can say with confidence, do everything you can to make it next year!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Tina!

Press on.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina,

First of all congratulations on your award. I think that is pretty cool! I will be excited when I get my first draft finished. I have a hard time looking past that.

I don't know if this is the right forum, but I have a question. I just finished Randy Ingermanson's City of God series and started the Oxygen series. In the City of God series he headed each change of scene with a different character. I liked that. I guess you would call that a change of POV?

In the Oxygen series he has added date and time to each change as well still using the change in POV. I am thinking about adding the change in POV in my WIP.

My goal in my novel is to weave a parallel German soldier into the story struggling living under the Nazi regime and serving God. Hank and the German will ultimately meet.

Do you see any traps in the method?

Thanks,

Jack

Deb said...

Tina, congrats on your good showing in the Genesis! I know by firsthand experience how stiff the competition is.

And no--I must take this opportunity to enlighten you about the chocolate party. You do not BUY the local chocolate to bring to the party--you bring your own favorite, and f/l/i/n/g share pieces of deliciosity with the other writers. It's a frenetic, fun-filled, high calorie event! The best part is the people you meet at the party, and the mini-stories they tell (G)

Deb, who brings only dark chocolate