Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My Gratitude List (ACFW Conference)

I've been duly chastised by Deb for not yet having a post about the conference.

I had a great time. I hope I'm able to go again next year. Not because of the classes, though they were great. Not because of making a few connections that might profit me. But because of the people.

I knew ACFW was full of great people. Nice, helpful. They answer questions on the email loop so fast it makes my head spin. But seeing them face to face, and having someone there for me anytime I needed them just blew me away.

This may take a few days to write, because I want to drop a few details about the conference along the way, but my focus is going to be a gratitude list. I want to thank all the people who made the conference a good experience for me, whether they know they affected me or not.

Christina Berry was the first person I saw. I arrived at noon and couldn't check in yet, so I went across the parking lot to a DQ to change out of my comfy travel clothes. When I came out of the restroom, I saw Christina. She seemed so happy to see me and gave me a big hug. Then throughout the conference, whenever she saw me she said hi and we talked a while. It was nice to feel like I had a friend there.

By the way, Christina won second place in her category in the Genesis contest. She submitted the first chapter of Undiscovered to me way back at the beginning of this blog. I take no credit in her success, however. The chapter was already stellar when it came to me. I didn't so much critique it as praise it.

Gloria Clover was waiting in line ahead of me to have her luggage stored. I have to explain my state of mind before she'll sound special.

I didn't want to store my luggage--I wanted to check in. I wanted to have my anchor, that place I could go to get away if I needed it. I had planned to check in, have my husband (who drove me) help me carry the luggage to my room. I'd give him a hug and kiss goodbye. I'd take a few minutes to change (instead of a DQ restroom) and relax before facing everyone. I'm such an introvert that the prospect of meeting people is a little overwhelming. I just wanted my room!

I don't know if that does enough to explain how I felt. Things were not going as I'd planned. So there I was, trying to say goodbye to my husband without tearing up. I knew it was stupid to be on the verge of tears--I can't really explain it. A quick peck and he left. I turned to find Gloria Clover smiling at me sympathetically. I'd never met her. She asked how I was doing. I figured it was obvious I was fighting tears, so I told her I was a little overwhelmed.

She let me hang out with her as we registered, then headed to the bookstore. I didn't really connect with her again after that, though I saw her across a room a couple of times. Having someone so friendly and understanding at my side for that first hour or so meant a lot to me.

Oh, it was at the bookstore that I met Deb Kinnard. She was the one and only person at the conference who said my name first. Everyone else, I had to look at their name tags, then introduce myself. But at the bookstore, I heard my name, looked up and there was Deb. We had a nice little talk and she was very encouraging.

Speaking of introducing myself, I surprised myself by being quite assertive that first day. I got to meet several people I wanted to meet. Patti Lacy--one of my first critique partners, Cindy Hickey, Camy Tang, Sharon Lavy, Megan DiMaria. I saw Richard Mabry in a class, but it wasn't a good time to say hi, and then I didn't get the chance.

And I'll finish today with Rachel Hauck. No personal connection made, but she led the worship team. She has a beautiful voice and she led with such feeling that it made our worship something truly special.

I've barely begun to talk about conference, so I'll continue tomorrow.

5 comments:

Christina Tarabochia said...

I was SO happy to see you! I do think of you as my friend and hope my extroverted nature doesn't scare you off at future conferences.

Actually, I'm an introverted extrovert, which means if I'm alone, I'm perfectly happy and don't want to be disturbed, but if I'm in a crowd I'm perfectly happy and can chat until 1 AM. :-)

I haven't gone through my pictures yet, but I'm pretty sure we got one, right?

Deb said...

LOL about the "chastised"! It was so not my intention! Just been a while since you posted, is all. I sure can understand that, with the time you've had recently.

I was so glad to see you at the conference, and to connect with you face-to-face. Much as I love cyber-connecting with people, there is nothing like a personal, real-time linkup. I'm happy you had a good time.

And thanks again from all of us who've benefited from your critiques on this blog. Your skills and insight are awesome.

Deb said...

PS, relative to the above comment about your skills & insight? and those of the folks who posted commentary on SEASONS IN THE MIST, way back last November?

Well, I'm tickled as can be to announce that SEASONS has been contracted by Sheaf House for release in spring 2010.

Again, my sincerest thanks for all the suggestions that made this a better book.

Tina Helmuth said...

Christina,

You didn't scare me off at all. It was nice to talk with you. And no, I'm sorry to say, we didn't get a picture together.

Deb,

Well, I was chastising myself because it's been so long since I'd posted anything. Congratulations on the book contract! I can't wait to read it. Although...a year and a half...I'd better learn patience.

Megan DiMaria said...

Thank you very much for introducing yourself to me. I appreciate being able to make your acquaintance.

Hope to see you next year in Denver!

A prisoner of hope,
Megan