Saturday, September 27, 2008

Gratitude, part 3

Forgive me for skipping yesterday. I’m simply not in the habit of blogging regularly anymore.


The rest of the conference. Wow. Great classes. I especially enjoyed John Olson’s continuing education class on writing the Big Idea. High concept, big characters, writing in the shadows. So much to absorb, I’ll have to read the notes over and over.


The other two classes that really stand out in my memory are Rachel Hauck’s and Susan May Warren’s. Probably because they made me laugh. But they had good tips, too.


I didn’t introduce myself to anyone on Friday and Saturday. My cold hit hard and I like to keep my germs to myself. It was hard to be social when I felt like I should be walking down the halls crying, “Unlcean! Unclean!”


Since I haven’t had a cold in probably 3 years, I kept asking God, why now? Maybe so I’d rest every once in a while instead of feeling like I had to attend every session.


My nose was so drippy Friday I’m sure anyone who happens to remember my face will remember me as the girl who was always blowing her nose. In fact, there might be photographic evidence of that.


My roommate gave me an antihistamine Friday night, and I slept great. Felt much better after that. Saturday and Sunday my cold was only a minor inconvenience. Even so, my assertiveness was gone.


We had a gathering of Midwest authors Friday before supper, and I met Linda Rondeau. (I hope I spelled that right.) We made a connection, in part because one of her genres is sci-fi/fantasy, which I enjoy reading. And partly because the same editor likes our writing, but isn’t interested in the books we’ve written. She had an encouraging word for me every time I saw her, and she gave me a nice hug goodbye on Sunday.


I met one final person at breakfast on Sunday. Rachel Ingle. (I hope I’m remembering correctly. My memory has had nearly a week to get fuzzy.) We bonded over a love of raw milk, of all things. We’re both Minnesotans. We talked so much over breakfast, I ended up telling her about the deaths in my family, and she shared a personal loss that happened to her years ago. When I said goodbye to her, she said she’d be praying for me.


By the way, it was at that breakfast I decided I couldn't wait any longer to blow my nose. Right in the middle of the process, I saw a big flash. Sure enough, the conference photographer had the camera aimed in my direction. Sigh.


What I shared doesn’t do justice to the kindness of everyone I met. They are the reason I want to go back next year. Denver would mean flying and more expense, but I’ll wait and see if it’s God’s will for me.


My heartfelt thanks goes to anyone who had anything to do with the planning of the ACFW conference, and to all the volunteers. You helped make it an unforgettable experience.

2 comments:

Richard Mabry said...

Okay, that really frustrates me. I was also in John Olson's class. Wish I'd peered through the darkness and spotted you. However, given your infectious state, maybe it was just as well that we keep this on an "email and blog only" basis.
Glad the conference was a blessing to you.

Tina Helmuth said...

I did want to meet you face to face. Too bad we missed the chance. But yes, since I was sick I can regret a little less the people who slipped by.