Thursday, September 25, 2008

My Gratitude List, part 2

I'd like these posts much better with some pictures. Unfortunately, I left my camera at home.

After the agent panel Thursday, Carla Stewart introduced herself to me. She remembered my name from the Genesis contest last year. She said she'd seen my blog, and she complimented me on my critiquing skills. She was another person who made a point of saying hi to me whenever she saw me the rest of the time. We ended up at the same supper table that night. Carla was a Genesis finalist this year. In fact, she ended up winning the young adult category.

After supper, I finally had the chance to check in. (Don't worry, I'm not going through the whole conference this slowly. I just met most of the people the first day. And I have to tell this frazzled little story.)

A lovely young woman named Shella--I didn't catch her last name--checked in at the same time, so we got our luggage out of storage together. She only had one suitcase on wheels, whereas I--Mrs. Eclectic Luggage--had a small suitcase, a small duffel bag, and a garment bag. When Shella saw me awkwardly trying to manage the three pieces, she offered to carry my duffel since we were staying on the 8th floor. How sweet and selfless that was.

Okay, the fact that they sent us to separate elevators should have tipped me off. I just thought they were being courteous and getting us as close to our rooms as possible. Shella and I agreed to meet in the middle of the hall once we got our suitcases in our rooms.

I stashed my stuff and set off down the hall. And came to a dead end. Just a door that said "staircase." Went the other direction. Same thing.

Oh, why had I parted with that duffel bag? My snacks were in it (blood sugar issues), as well as all my toiletries. I needed that duffel!

Just then, Donna Alice Patton, whom I had never met, but I recognized her name, was coming out of her room. I asked her if the hallways connected in some way I couldn't see. She sweetly informed me that they were separate towers, and that she'd gone up the wrong elevator to start with. She told me where the other elevator was.

(Donna and I ended up connecting a few more times--ate a couple of meals together. She came in second in mystery/suspense in the Genesis. Hmm... seems I'm drawn to Genesis finalists.)

The editor panel was about to start, so I got in the elevator back down to the first floor. Found the other elevator, which needed a key swipe. My key didn't work, since I wasn't a guest in that tower. Back to the front desk, had my key re-swiped so it would work, and back up to the 8th floor, other tower.

Praise God I have a thing for numbers. I can glance at a number and hold it in my memory for days without trying. I had seen Shella's room number, so I went straight to her room and knocked. She hadn't left for the session yet. She had my duffel bag. All was right in the world.

Back into the elevator. Down to first floor. Other elevator. Up to 8th floor. Put the duffel in my room. Back in the elevator to the 2nd floor where the editor panel was probably already starting.

Did I mention I don't like elevators?

But after that ride, the elevator was a breeze for the rest of the conference. The editor panel was just starting when I reached the ballroom. I sat down and relaxed, having great peace of mind in knowing that I had my room, my sanctuary.

I'm also grateful for a good roommate, Candle. We were enough alike, and enough different that we got along great. I was with her enough that I heard a half dozen variations of, "Candle? What an interesting name. Is there a story behind it?" I wonder how many times she had to say, "My mom just wanted something different." But of course, I was just as guilty as everyone esle when I first heard her name.

The one damper on the conference is that when I went to bed the first night, my nose immediately plugged up. I thought I felt the beginnings of a cold that evening, but tried to deny it. With a stuffy, drippy nose, I hardly slept a wink. Not a great beginning to a conference I knew would be exhausting anyway.

Okay, I have just a few more people left to thank and a few more details to talk about. I should be able to wrap this up tomorrow.

3 comments:

Richard Mabry said...

Tina,
Because we've just recently moved, I hadn't checked your blog in a while before leaving for ACFW. I wish I'd thought to seek you out while I was there! So very sorry I missed you.
Glad you had a good experience overall (missing duffel bag notwithstanding). Hope it was a blessing. Knowing you, you undoubtedly blessed a number of people yourself.
I promise to resume my faithful readership of your blog.

carla stewart said...

Hi Tina,
What a nice thing to say. I enjoyed meeting you in person and hearing about your endeavors. I'm still processing the conference and catching up on sleep. I had an allergy problem in Minnesota, too, but other than that I had a great time. Blessings to you in your writing!

Christina Tarabochia said...

OKay, this was hiliarious ... but sad. I'm SO glad you were reunited with your luggagae quickly and made the panel. It was a good one, wasn't it?

I took an airborne tablet each night for two reasons: to keep me healthy and to make the water taste better. :-)

PS. You could have roomed with us if you'd ended up homeless!