Monday, August 18, 2008

ACFW conference and other stuff


I can't believe the ACFW conference is in a month! So little time to prepare.

I've hardly written at all this summer. It just hasn't been a good summer for writing. I had to cancel my editor appointments because my WIP won't be ready to pitch. But there are always the informal meetings at meals and such where I can talk about my WIP.

So I should prepare a pitch of some kind. Be ready to talk about my project.

Business casual isn't my style. I have jeans and T-shirts, and then I have skirts and dresses for church. And since I don't want to wear skirts every day of the conference, I should buy a few items of clothing. I wouldn't be buying for the conference only. For one thing, I get called to do some office work once in a while. Second, I can wear them to church.

This is my first conference, so I'm not sure what else I should do to get ready. I have business cards. I have a roommate. I could ask the first-time attendee email loop, but do those of you who've been to a writer's conference have any gems for me?

In other news...

I've sold a good number of my brother's books. 225 out of 742. I sold one series of 87 books on eBay (it did pretty well--1.25 per book), held a yard sale (sold 67), and put out an email to ACFW on Friday. Okay, I still have a lot to sell, but 225 and counting isn't too shabby.

Tomorrow morning Brian and I leave for family camp. We'll be gone the rest of the week. I'm starting to relax just thinking about it. I really need this vacation.

3 comments:

Deb said...

My opinion: do NOT cancel your appointments just because your book is not pitch-ready.

Here's why. I had one of the best editor appointments ever, in Dallas. I met with the Steeple Hill editor, but the catch was, the novel I wanted to pitch to her was already under consideration by one of her associates. I sat down and said, "Hi! I'm Deb and I'm not here to sell you a book!"

You should've seen the pleased surprise on her face.

I went on to explain why, and then asked her where she saw the S/H market going, what sorts of books would they most like to see, what sorts of themes/plots have been overused, etc., etc. We spent a very pleasant 15 minutes talking market, readers' whims, everything. It was great, and I felt very good about keeping the appointment.

As you know, and due to your critique on this blog, S/H subsequently contacted me to ask for a submission. You never know how/when God will use something that seems inconsequential, in His own timing.

My take.

Christina Tarabochia said...

I second Deb. You can run the premise by them to peek their interest. You might end up with proposal requests for when the book IS ready. That face-to-face time is a huge part of why I shell out the big bucks. :-)

Deb said...

So -- did you enjoy the conference? What were your overall impressions? Time for new blog post!