Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Was it a good camping trip if...


  • I had a twenty-minute warning to pack?
  • We spent over two hours waiting for our brakes to be repaired?
  • I had pie at Baker's Square while waiting?
  • Our campsite had a view of the St. Croix River and while we were dipping our feet in, we saw a doe and twin fawns on the small island across from us?
  • Due to the short notice, I didn't pack towels and we had to use our shirts to dry off after our showers?
  • I came face to face with a man in the ladies bathroom in the middle of the night--in my jammies, thank you very much? (I think his wife was afraid to go alone. Boy did that mess with my head for a second. And normally while camping I'd sleep in shorts and a T-shirt. This time I packed my pj's and it's a good thing I had the extra clothes, for the reason stated above.)
  • I had to blow up our air bed three times during the night? That's blow it up with lung power, instead of the pump we used the first time. (Too loud for the middle of the night, and it runs off a car battery, so we'd have had to drag it outside.) Apparently there's a small hole in the mattress and the inflation lasted 2 and 1/2 hours, 2 hours, 1:10 and finally, 45 minutes. And since my hubby has poor lung capacity, it was up to me, the lady who can inflate a 12-inch balloon in one blow, to save the night.
  • We heard owls and coyotes during the night? (Hint...I enjoyed it.)
  • We got to marvel at God's creation during a great hike by the river, where we saw some neat glacial potholes? (see picture)

All in all, it was a mixed bag of good and bad. But as the Helmuth clan is fond of saying, nothing bad happens on trips, only things to make it memorable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like quite a memorable trip! :) I've been enjoying your website when I have time to read...usually I catch up once a week. I liked your bear/dog story -- I think I would have been freaked out. Have you heard about my "polar bear" experience when I was little?