Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Checking in

I wrote a little over 300 words yesterday. That doesn't exactly give me bragging rights, but I wrote. It's the start of getting back into the swing of things.

Just this morning I read yesterday's comments, and I appreciate them. Christina Berry gave me the kick I asked for, which couldn't have been easy--she's still recovering from knee surgery.

Some of you may remember that toward the beginning of August, my newly acquired agent sent the proposal for my other WIP to 9 publishers. So far, I've gotten 5 rejections and I'm waiting to hear from the others.

I would have thought by now I'd be running out of patience. But honestly, it's not something that's very much on my mind. I've heard stories of responses taking a year or more. Why fret now? I'm prepared for 4 more rejections, but I'm not discouraged by that at all. Instead, I'm relishing this time of freedom.

Lately I've been focused on eating healthier, which I hinted at in the refrigerator post. (By the way, I had to laugh at some of the comments. The cottage cheese isn't the healthy food in my fridge--it's my junk food! The first week of my new way of eating, I had both produce drawers plus the bottom shelf of my fridge crammed with green vegetables. And we ate all but one thing--I found I didn't care for kale.)

Anyway, that was just an aside to say where the rest of my focus has been lately (other than sick family). And I tend to have a limited ability to focus. One thing at a time for me. But now my eating habits don't require as much attention, so I can turn my focus back to writing.

And I do believe I'll write again today. Imagine that.

5 comments:

Bonnie Way aka the Koala Mom said...

You are way ahead of me... I haven't written much in the last little bit, other than posts for my blog. So kudos to you for 300 words!!! Keep going. :)

Also, good luck with the WIP. I've heard it does take a while to hear back from publishers - so for now, no news is good news. :) Do you have another list of publishers to send it to if none of these like your work, or is that something the agent works on?

I think I'll stick your parting words to my computer here - "I do believe I'll write today" - and try to make them happen! :)

Tina Helmuth said...

It's completely up to my agent where, or even if, to send it out after this. I'm so glad I don't have to worry about those things anymore. He knows if there are other publishers who might be interested in what I wrote.

Actually, of the 5 rejections, one publisher liked my writing, but didn't like the time period. They would like to see something more from me in the future.

Anonymous said...

Tina,

I know the "stuck" feeling. I'm battling it right now. After 5 months of pain and finally knee surgery, I am starting to feel like ME, and hope that it sparks the "writer?!?" in me to get focused and busy.

Ernie W. said...

I'm there as well picking back picking back up on writing. Starting a new job has taken so much time that all I want to do is eat dinner and go to bed. I've began on finishing my second book, so here's to a great year of writing and getting published.

Ernie

Christina Tarabochia said...

I'm so glad. Can you sing to me? "You're the inspiration ... you bring writing to my day ... you're the inspiration."

Speaking of kicking, my grandmother kicked the bucket so I didn't get to read this until just now. And it's okay to say that about Grandma P. because we have a twisted sense of humor in our family. She's laughing in heaven, I guarantee.