Monday, December 3, 2007

Happy Birthday to me...

Yes, I'm shameless, but I like birthdays. I turn 34 today.


In other news, I realized yesterday what a helpless female I am.
I got stuck in my driveway when I was heading out for church. We'd gotten a foot or more of snow during the night (jealous, Joy?) and the snow plow always leaves a nice big ridge at the end of our drive. I knew I had to really gun it to get through, but I didn't have enough of a run at it and got high-centered on the snowbank.

Brian, my hubby, is our church's maintenance manager, so he was already at the church plowing the parking lot before our road was plowed. So I was alone. You wouldn't want to write a female character as helpless as I am when it comes to getting unstuck from snow. I was close to tears. I knew myself to be completely incapable of getting out of that snow bank.

I grabbed a shovel and started clearing around the tires. I have a bad back. I should never shovel. After only a few minutes (but long enough to hurt my back) a truck stopped. An older man got out and shoveled my tires clear, but they'd still only spin.

After 25 minutes of shoveling and trying to drive back and forth, it looked hopeless. Then another truck stopped and two young muscular guys got out and pushed from the front while the older man backed out. My car was free.

There's no point to this story, except that I'm praising God for sending someone to my rescue. In that half an hour, those were the only two vehicles on my road. And they both stopped.

I was supposed to be at church early for music practice--I work behind the scenes in the tech room, having no musical ability. I was pretty late, but then so was half the worship team, so I still got there before they started practice.

And despite the inconvenience, I'm grateful for the snow. Last year we had a brown Christmas. This year, everything is beautiful and it looks like even more is on the way.

5 comments:

Camille Eide said...

Tina - Have a happy birthday! May your cup overflow -- though perhaps not with snow.

Camille

Deb said...

Happy Birthday! And at least you got rescued--here in Chicago they'd just drive around ya (G).

shaunjoy said...

Quite jealous. One time last week there was just a bit of snow in the air...but you had to squint and concentrate really hard, ideally while looking towards a dark roof. : (

Christina Tarabochia said...

Since my husband couldn't even make it home last night (in Oregon) because ALL the roads to our house were flooded, I'd take the snow right now. At least it's possbile to drive through with the right equipment.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! We're not old, we're young. No matter that you have a bad back and the othopedic surgeon told me that there is a HUGE difference between a 25-year old and me doing Taekwon-do!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday! You're just a puppy!

Helplessness is so unsettling. I'd like to think your helpers were angels sent to encourage you in your difficult circumstance. Anyway, don't you just love when God comes to the rescue? He's always there even if no one else comes.