Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A Date

For my birthday Monday night, Brian took me to a movie. Normally my birthday treat is going out to eat at a nice restaurant. But I've been having some food sensitivities and until that's all straightened out, it's safer to eat at home.

So I suggested that a movie would be a good birthday date. I love movies. Brian, no so much. Although he's usually game for a good comedy. We decided to see Enchanted. A Disney movie spoofing on Disney animated movies sounded appealing.

And it was. No spoilers here. Suffice it to say we laughed hard during the first half of the movie. But the second half was disappointing. It felt to me like they wrote themselves into a corner. The ending may have been satisfying to some, but to us it felt like the ending of every Disney cartoon. Like they decided they'd better stop making fun of themselves and slip into their old routine.

If they'd used half the imagination at the end that they did in the beginning, it would have been a movie I could heartily recommend. For the sake of the beginning, I'm not sorry I saw it. But my advice to you, if you haven't seen it, wait for DVD.

But it was fun to have a date with my husband. We have no children, so privacy is never an issue. We don't have to go out of our way for time alone. But a night out every once in a while is still special.


Tomorrow will be your last chance to comment here to win Miralee Ferrell's The Other Daughter. Don't miss out!

3 comments:

Richard L. Mabry, MD said...

Tina,
Happy birthday. Going out to a movie lost its glamour for me about the time folks started coming to the theatre with their manners (or lack of them) from watching TV at home. NetFlix works for us. That way we can watch the first half of Enchanted, then turn it off and presto! We're home.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Tina,

What a blessing! Quiet time alone as a couple? What is that? :-)

I am glad to hear you had a good birthday. May God bless you with many more.

As for the snow. Oh my. Do send some our way. I am quite enamored of snow and am tired of walking around like Charlie Brown with my tongue sticking out waiting for those first flakes to fall. I am concerned the neighbors are going to have me sent away soon.

I have always been taken with snow and the white stuff just doesn't like Kansas all that much.

Say, you might consider doing movie reviews to help us weed out the lame ones. :-) That would be helpful for our budget.

We took all 5 of our offspring out to dinner over the weekend. Dare I say we hadn't done this in awhile and I was quickly reminded why. I had to hold my plate suspended in the air above the booth table for the duration of the meal to keep my 16 month old from launching it without warning. Needless to say, my arms got quite tired and I looked rather odd as well.

It was a buffet event and afterwards I needed to double-up on my blood pressure meds. :-) We did have an enjoyable time though.

Thank you for sharing the snow bank story ... God is good, and it is nice to hear that selflessness can be be encountered.

P.S. Will swap 5 bunchkins for 5 days in exchange for five fresh inches of snow to be delivered and kept on the ground for 5 days around Christmas. Hurry now. Offer expires in 5 hours. :-)

cathikin said...

A belated happy birthday. I'm glad you at least had some good time together with your husband.