Monday, June 23, 2008

The Creeping Blush

I recently noticed something in a lot of published books. That's not to say that it's a recent phenomenon, just that it's recently jumped out at me.

The creeping blush. The author will say something to the effect of, "A flush rose slowly from her neck."

It bothers me because it seems like a physical impossibility. Whenever I've blushed, it's been an instant heat in my cheeks. And when I've seen others blush, it's been the same thing. A split-second reddening of the face.

And it's not hack writers who are putting this in their books. I'm talking about authors who excel in craft. But there it is, the slow blush that starts in the neck and rises, flood-like, to the face. In that moment, the character of a book becomes a cartoon to me.

I have a feeling that authors write it because they've seen it in so many books they don't give it a thought. But maybe I'm wrong. So I want to know, have any of you ever seen a slow blush? Have any of you ever seen a blush starting in the neck?

I really want to know. Call it scientific curiosity.

5 comments:

Richard L. Mabry, MD said...

Tina,
This is just another one of the cliches that have become more common in modern writing.

No, blushes don't start low and spread. They happen all at once and are more evident in the face.

BJ Hoff recently had a post about cliches on her blog. She, too, decried the practice. Thanks for calling our attention to this one. I blush--all at once, not creeping--at the thought that I might have used this expression.

Anonymous said...

I have just seen an episode of Grey's Anatomy where a little girl had a diseease - she was blushing very hard whenever she got emotional. The doctors said that she can be operated, but with huge risks. She accepted because, she said "you don't know what is like to feel something for somebody and let everyone know that"... and she took the risk... :) then she got well, obvious. very touchy :)

Anonymous said...

and she was blushing on the neck and face as well, simultaneously :)

Steph said...

I can feel blushes start. But never in my neck. I just feel my cheeks starting to get warm before they go all-out hot and red.

Maybe it's because I blush easily?

By the way, I found your blog on blogcatalog.com and since you're obviously into writing, I wanted to let you know about a new e-zine that me and a few writer friends are putting together.

It's called The Oddville Press.

You should check us out, if you're interested--or better yet, submit something!

Thanks a bunch!

Annie said...

I always blush from my neck up...thats where i feel the heat start and my neck still remains red and blotchy after my face is no longer red. Always very embarrasing.