Friday, May 2, 2008

Taking it easy

I haven't posted as much as I thought I would. I guess I'm taking a bit of a break from extra obligations.

The week we knew for certain my father-in-law was on a downward turn, and the end was near, was also the week two books for review landed in my mailbox. Plus I received a manuscript for a paid critique. Oh, and the 7 entries I was judging for the Genesis contest also arrived in my inbox. All in the same week when stress levels were already a bit high.

So I'm sure you can understand why I'm enjoying a time to be a little more laid back.

It was an honor to be asked to judge for Genesis this year. I'm a little disappointed that neither of the two manuscripts I thought were really good ended up as finalists. But it was a good experience and I think I'd do it again. I received very nice thank yous from all but the entry I scored the lowest.

One entry I also scored pretty low was so grateful for the comments I made that she asked if she could send me a rewrite. (I'm sure she was also grateful for the other 2 judges' comments, but I put my name on all the entries I judged.) I said I'd be happy to take a look at what she did, but that I'd like to post the critique on my blog if she didn't mind. She didn't.

So, Monday and Wednesday I'll have the two chapters I critiqued.

No comments: