Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Branding

Author branding is a very good thing. It's helpful when it comes to marketing and building a readership. Readers want to know what they can expect from an author.

But how far should branding go? If I start out writing historicals and become known for that, does that mean I'm stuck forever writing historical fiction?

There's so much research involved in historical writing that I have to feel passionate about my story before I'll tackle it. Yes, there's research involved in every genre, but contemporary authors only have to research certain elements of their story. Historical involves researching everything--what they wore and ate, how they talked. Details of daily life.

I enjoy research up to a point, but it's time consuming. If I were to set another book in the time period I already researched, that would help. But so far, I don't see that happening.

And after my current WIP, I have no more ideas for historicals. Yes, I only recently started this WIP, but I'd like to have an inkling what I'll do next. The only idea that's coming to me is contemporary.

So how limiting should branding be? Once I'm published, what can readers expect from me? Adventure, an element of romance, an element of peril.

Story is the key. Setting--the where and when--plays a big part in influencing the story. But it's the lives of the characters--their desires, goals and obstacles--that drive a story and keep the readers turning pages.

I don't think there's a clear answer. Branding has been discussed on other blogs, but it's an issue that's on my mind right now. An interview with Lena Nelson Dooley triggered me to post the topic today, but I was already thinking about it.

If I get some interesting comments, I'll continue the discussion another day.

By the way, I did take that week off from my WIP my instincts told me I needed. Now the words are coming again. I'm behind my goal, but not sweating it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How funny! I've been thinking about branding lately also. Mostly because the ideas that I have teeter on the edge between YA and Coming of Age (which I understand as being technically Adult Fiction). So I'm curious how that will work. I've heard of other writers who write under a different name for a different genre, so as not to confuse their readers. I think that's a cool idea, but I imagine it's annoying because it sounds like to a degree you'd be starting over as an unknown-- at least as far as readers are concerned. You couldn't depend on your former readers saying "Oh! Get that book! I love her writing!"

How specific is branding? Genre and themes? I heard someone say once that part of their theme included their protag always having a cat. :)

Thanks

Richard L. Mabry, MD said...

To me, branding comes late in the game. The whole goes something like this: go to lots of conferences, write five or six novels, convince an agent to represent you, get a contract, sweat the deadline and revisions, maybe get a multi-book contract and start thinking about branding.

And I'm glad you took a week off and it helped. I just finished an article on deadline, and it was murder. I can't imagine being on deadline for a contracted book. My non-fiction book was complete when I got the contract, so I have no experience there.

Deb said...

Richard's right--branding comes after the first few sales. Pre-sale, write whatever you want, whenever you want. Nobody agenting or contracting for that first novel is going to say, "Now, you'll need to limit yourself to writing contemporary romances, 'cause this is a contemporary..."

It's only after you have a recognized "this is what a Tina Helmuth novel is like, so I can go into the bookshop and have my expectations met" framework that branding kicks in. That's also the only time it's worth discussing.

My take, anyway.

Bonnie Way aka the Koala Mom said...

On another note, I'd say try reading Angela Hunt's novels or Francine Rivers' novels, and try branding them. They've both written everything from Biblical to historical to contemporary fiction. I like their writing, because they aren't "stuck in a rut." They always come up with fresh ideas, fresh characters, fresh settings. Unlike reading a John Grisham novel, which is pretty much the same as the last novel you read by him becuase it'll be about a lawyer and another lawyer...